The Västerås, Sweden-based company was founded in 1969 as ASEA-ATOM, equally owned by ASEA (ASEA-Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget – a Swedish electro technical company founded at the end of 1800) and the state. The number of employees the first year was 355.
In 1982, ASEA bought the state’s share of the company and thereby became fully private. In 1988, the company became part of the worldwide company group ABB (the Swiss company formed when Brown Boveri merged with ASEA in 1987) and became known as ABB Atom. By the mid’80s to early ‘90s, ABB Atom had grown to more than 1000 employees.
In 2000, ABB sold its nuclear businesses to British Nuclear Fuel plc and ABB Atom was then integrated with Westinghouse Electric Company and renamed as Westinghouse Atom AB. To enhance Westinghouse Electric’s global recognition, the legal Swedish company name was changed once again to Westinghouse Electric Sweden in November 2003.
The various Westinghouse companies located throughout the world, with approximately 9,000 employees in the USA, Europe and Asia, offer a wide range of nuclear plant products and services to utilities around the world, including fuel, spent fuel management, service and maintenance nuclear automation, and advanced nuclear plant designs.